Firearm Insurance

I receive emails and junk mail from the NRA every few months regarding additional insurance for my firearms.

I already have an additional rider policy for my guns.

My sister had a fire that ended up destroying her husbands guns. He lost a Marlin 30-30 and a Mossberg 500 12ga. They encouraged me to do an insurance audit.

I was very surprised to discover that firearms were covered specifically to only $2500. I needed way more than that. I called my insurance provider and got a rider. While talking with them on the phone they also encouraged me to take photos of each gun and record the serial numbers and store it all in a safe deposit box. All good advice.

--Don't forget to keep a list of ammo and accessories. It adds up!


Anonymous said...

I used the basic NRA coverage once when I had a gun stolen. The cost of the gun was below my homeowners deductibe so it would have been a total loss. However the NRA ppolicy sent me almost 400.00 for filling out some forms and sending a copy of the police report. Since you get the 2500.00 for just being a member, it helps make up what your reg insurance won't cover.


Guffaw in AZ said...

AMEN! My homeowners policy was good for up to $5K in gun losses. I lost $21K !
AND, the NRA insurance must be filed for within one year of the loss.
Check your terms and caps!

Old NFO said...

Yep, I also have a rider just for the guns...

Anonymous said...

Talk to your insurance agent. If you have more than just a few guns you will quickly need a rider.

I have a rider for guns and electronics. the standard was $2500 for each. Not close on either count.

DaddyBear said...

Thanks for the reminder I need to look into that.