Part 2: How to Register a Short Barrel Rifle (SBR)

Current Status of my SBR, "The Axe"
I Finally heard from the County Sheriff regarding the Short Barrel Rifle paperwork. He called me at home on a Saturday. It was interesting how helpful he was. You know how you can actually hear people smiling  on the phone?

I left out a form.

He gave me the perfect Google search term "922g compliance" that resulted in the ATF form as the first hit.

Certification of Compliance with 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(B)

It is basically a form to certify that I am not an illegal alien. I quickly printed it, filled it out, swearing on a stack of mothers graves that I am a US Citizen.

I dropped it off at the County Sheriffs office to his attention.

Here is the series of events so far and what is up next:
  • Purchased the AR-15 to be converted to an SBR
  • Purchased the short barrel and upper
  • Download and fill out these Forms
    • Include the SN of the Receiver
    • Manufacturer
    • Make and Model
    • Your personal info
  • Go to CVS for two passport photos
  • Go to the County Courthouse and get two fingerprint cards ($10)
  • Certification of Compliance with 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(B)
  • Submit copies for the County Sheriff to sign
  • Wait...
  • Receive signed forms in the mail (about 10 days)
  • Make color file copies
  • Write a check for $200 
  • Send it all to the ATF   
  • Wait...
--I will make another post on this project with each milestone.


Weston11 said...

It is so stupid that the gun pictured would suddenly be illegal if it had a stock on it. So stupid.

Bubblehead Les. said...

So since the next milestone is waiting for the ATF, I suppose we'll be reading about this next July?

Anonymous said...

My SBR check was cashed in Nov. of 2011 and got the paperwork back in Mar. of 2012. My silencer check was cashed in Sept. of 2011 and got the paperwork back in June of 2012. Good luck.


Anonymous said...

Dude! You got the EOTech!