Gun Shot "Blow Out Kit"

Gun Shot Blow Out Kit
I have been working on my standard range bag contents. It just happened that I saw this video this week and have decided I need to have a gun shot "Blow Out Kit" in my range bag. This guy shot himself in the leg by accident and kept his head. He called 911 and had the bleeding stopped before the EMTs arrived.

To date, I have been carrying a first aid kit in my bag and a bigger one in my truck, but these are not emergency trauma kits specifically designed for gun shot wounds.

Amazon has a lot of Emergency Kits of various kinds, sizes and focus.

I am leaning toward a dedicated gun shot trauma blow out kit. Here are me requirements:
  • Can be accessed and utilized with one hand
  • Self contained in an easy open pouch
  • Fits in a thigh pocket
  • One handed Tourniquets
  • Quickclot bandages (trauma pads)
  • Clotting powder
  • Variety of gauze rolls and pads
  • Surgical shears
  • Scalpels, forceps, and other instruments
  • Surgical gloves
  • Medical tapes
There are several prefab kits available on the Internet. I think I may just buy a good Molle pouch put together a kit with the help of an EMT I know.

Shit happens. And fast. Be prepared. It may save you or someone near you.

--It's better to have one and not need one than to need one and not have one.

3 comments:

Bubblehead Les. said...

Even the old Army Alice Pouch that has the Box in it should hold everything you need. That's what I'm using.

NotClauswitz said...

We have a blow-out kit in our range-shed at the Club, but I'm thinking of taking a class: Defensive Medicine to instill/acquire some actual, useful, personal skillz.

JB Miller said...

Our local fire and rescue has classes on several useful areas: CPR, Basic First Aid, Advanced, and Trauma.