Adios ATF

I live and work in the Washington DC area.

As I wander through the world inside the beltway I hear stuff. It usually doesn't have any gun content. This week the talk around the cooler had Firearms! The F in ATF!

The air is buzzing with word spreading that the BATFE is going to be completely disassembled and disbanded. The entire Bureau will be gone. Some parts eliminated and the staff laid off and some other parts transferred to places like the FBI or Dept of Homeland Security or the Dept of Education (kidding about DoE).

(Update: Looks like the target date is Feb 1st. Might be a press release in the next week or two.)

Keep a close eye on the news over the next few weeks.

--Action Adventure.

8 comments:

MSgt B said...

Should have been done long ago.

I never understood why we had to have a separate agency to handle what is obviously under the aegis of the FBI.

It makes sense considering the dire financial straits we find ourselves in now.

That Guy said...

Don't get my hopes up like that! It's just mean.

But our luck it will get folded into Homeland Security.

Alan said...

I'll believe it when I see it.

DaddyBear said...

Alan beat me to it. Never known a bureaucracy to be mortal.

Bubblehead Les. said...

If it does get broken up, it's because it'll be a method to stop the Gun Walking Investigations in Congress. "Gee, Representative Issa, we can't give you those records you requested, because all the Old ATF Files were Shredded. You might want to check over at the Border Patrol, Coast Guard, USDA, FBI, DHS...."

JB Miller said...

We shall see...

Anonymous said...

I think you are onto something.

Jay G said...

I fully believe this could happen. Les's scenario is entirely plausible.

Something tells me that the BATFE will disappear the exact same day the HSDOFTEA* is created.

(*Homeland Security Department of Firearms, Tobacco, Explosives, and Alcohol).