Feed Problem in the 96D


One of the favorite firearms in my collection is a Beretta 96D Centurion .40cal.

I bought this gun back in the early 1990s. It is double action only with no safeties and because of that the trigger pull was designed to be long and heavy. For years it was my favorite conceal carry piece. I upgraded the hell out of it. I added an internal LaserMax site, a threaded barrel and a suppressor.

It has one big problem.

It is very particular on the ammo that it will feed. It will have feed jams often if it uses any type of blunt nose ammo. Flat top FMJs, hallow points, any ammo that is not round nose full metal jackets can easily jam on the feed ramp.

I have tried to polish the ramp and that helped a little. Jams went from 1 in 10 to 1 in 30. If I keep it very clean and well lubed the first 10 rounds will always feed.

This issue is what made me shift to to Glocks for daily carry. My Glocks will feed anything. They never jam, even with the cheapest Wolf steel case ammo.

--NOTE: I now have a Beretta Px4 in .40 cal. It has never jammed on me once so far.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A Lasermax and a suppressor? That is cooler than the other side of my pillow!

Anonymous said...

Did you have a good smith look at it? Might be a simple fix.

Tam said...

Huh.

I used a 96D as my "bedside gun" for many years. Never had any problems out of it. The 92/96 aren't generally known for feeding issues.

JB Miller said...

Tam, I also have the Px4 in .40 and I love it. It will eat any ammo I give it.

I decided it will be going to a good gunsmith.

Now I gotta find a good gunsmith. I smell a blog post about that adventure...

Tam said...

I would, of course, suggest shipping it to Coal Creek Armory, but I'm all biased that way. ;)