Vintage Bushcraft Kit.

Vintage Bushcraft Kit. The simplicity of wood, canvas, leather and steel.

The Bug Out Bag (BOB) is not a new thing. A friend sent me this image because we talk about BOBs at work more often than normal people should.

There are a lot of good ideas in this vintage kit. There are a couple major items I may need to add to mine. 
  •  An ax.  Even a 3/4 size would actually be more useful than a shovel.
  • The draw knife. This is a damn handy tool especially if your survival plans are longer than a few days.
I need to check my BOBs for more than rotating water and power bars. When I do I will take photos of the contents with my phone so I can quickly look and remember if I do have meds, nails, wire or duct tape.

--Add a Glock 9mm and four spare mags.

5 comments:

Bubblehead Les. said...

If you want to expand your Bushcrafting Skills, I recommend going to Dave Canterbury's Pathfinder School and take his Wilderness Skills class. Plus, check out his YouTube Channel. TONS of good info.

Old NFO said...

Yep, they HAVE been around for a long time!

That Guy said...

Very Hipster- "I use vintage tools in my BOB... you have probably never heard of them..."

mac said...

Five knives, an axe, cast iron skillet, wrought iron camp kit, several rolls of wire, a deplorably short roll of sisal, and canavas; that pack must weigh a ton.

Roberta X said...

The glass bottle needs to go; every knife and the ax needs a sheath: you don't want sharp things moving around in a backpack!

The hook-bladed knife under the drawknife is another handy item, useful for bowl-making (among other things).