Sweat and Holsters

My wonderful wife took me out for a relaxing date today.

We have been talking about going to play miniaturize golf and this course, that is very near our home, for like ten years.

It is a beautiful little 18 hole course. (Today veterans and activity duty military could play for free there.) I am glad to support it.

What does this have to do with guns? This is a gun blog after all.

It was a hot sunny day with temps in the mid 90's. I was keeping as cool as I could in cargo shorts, Hawaiian shirt and sandals. I was still carrying my compact 1911 in its Crossbreed holster.

By the time we were done playing our 18 holes, I was happily soaked in sweat and ready for a mango smoothy after my glorious victory by 6 strokes (winning a foot rub and movie of my choosing tonight).

The leather of the holster was directly against my skin and the leather absorbed  a lot of sweat. I mean a LOT of sweat. I will need to hang it to dry tonight when when get home from a cookout at my sisters, where there will be more sweating during a round of full contact croquet!

The question is:  How do you keep a sweaty holster clean?

--I do not want the thing to end up smelling like an old shoe!

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

I always seal the backs of mine with waterproofing...

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Start wearing underwear again. I know the missus has a preference, and it makes you feel like a SEAL to go commando, but at least do what I do and go for the Joe Namath style bananana hammock.

DaddyBear said...

I use saddle soap and snow seal on mine.