It's a Poor Workman

It's a poor workman that blames his tools.

I realized this week that some shooters are crippled by the fact that they can only hit a target from a specific stance with a specific gun.
Hi-Point 9mm, Crapfest trigger

I first started thinking this watching Top Shot this week. The most well rounded shooter, the guy that won this season, had the least training.

He never complained, "I hate Glocks! The grip angle is all wrong. I can't hit a thing with it. They suck!"

"I can't hit a thing because of..." grip style, sights, trigger pull, single action, double action, pounds per pull, size weight or color...

I believe in being able to shoot anything well. EVERYTHING.

I believe in being able to shoot two handed or one. Various grips in fact. Even one handed, off hand.

I believe if you can only hit the target with one gun, in one way, you need to change up your range time.

I believe mostly that it's a poor workman that blames his tools. If you say a 1911 or a Glock or a revolver is crap because you can't hit anything with it, it must suck to be you.

--I can do a 9mm head shot, with either hand, at 7 yards, with a Glock, S&W, Hi-Point or SIG.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am one of those guys. I say that all the time. I must admit. Youre right.

Broken Andy said...

You own a Hi Point?

That Guy said...

AMEN, BROTHA!!!

I so agree with you. Specialization is for insects, and if you can ONLY run a Glock and an AR, you are severely handicapping yourself as a shooter.

I get criticized all the time by other shooters because I train with Glocks, 1911s, CZs, ARs, AKs, and even a 30 carbine. But you know what? These guns exist, I better know how to run them.

Anonymous said...

Now I've said that about the Glock vs. 1911 but in the context of a reactive steel match, but punching paper never, I actually like the challenge of an unfamiliar weapon. For me the 1911 is a "point shoot" weapon but I would like to be as good with a revolver that is why I have 4" .357 in my future and probably a Glock 9mm. But my go to carry gun will have to have the same grab and point simplicity that the 1911 has. But accuracy is more about the right sight picture and proper trigger discipline.

45er said...

I'm all about this style of thinking. Most people have a preference, but a smart shooter can use anything. And a true gunnie WANTS to shoot everything.

Anonymous said...

I am also one of the guys you are talking about. I have said that exact shit a thousand times. This was an eye opener for me as well.