Renewing My Concealed Carry Permit

One of the reasons that I love Virginia is that it is a "Shall Issue" State. I realized recently that my Concealed Carry Permit was getting ready to expire so I went onto their handy dandy web sight and filled out a simple PDF form.

I like to actually stop in at the courthouse and renew in person. I have been in there lots of times so when I got there I knew enough to leave my knives in the car. But this time I discovered that my cell phone was now forbidden. Specifically cell phones with a camera or recording ability.

Hmmm...

Five minutes, and $50 later I was swearing on a stack of mothers graves that I will behave. Quick and easy. The clerk was a classic southern bell. She called me "Darlin". Called everyone, Darlin.

I asked, "How long until the new permit arrives in the mail?"

She answered, "Well the law says you have to have it in 45 days or less. Darlin, if you don't have it in 21 days, you just give me a call." She gave me her card, a free trigger lock and a smile that wouldn't quit.

--I love Virginia.

13 comments:

JB Miller said...

As a side note: As easy as the process is, I believe it should be eliminated in total in favor of Constitutional Carry. They are currently considering it.

Broken Andy said...

I had a similar experience at the Fairfax County courthouse. The intake clerk was very helpful and nice.

Bubblehead Les. said...

Yet, if you cross an invisible line on the Map and enter D.C.....

Anonymous said...

Cross the river and you are a felon.

JB Miller said...

Laura, You should get a Utah non-resident carry permit. It will allow you to conceal carry in VA, PA and 24 other states.

Ian Argent said...

I assume that's a typo and your phone is NOW forbidden, instead of NOT forbidden. Which is a stupid policy in this day and age, IMHO. But, my local courthouse has free wifi in the jury pool room, and only takes cell phones during actual deliberation. The judge prohibits their use in the courtroom itself, of course.

Ian Argent said...

Also, why utah and not florida for an out of state ticket to carry?

Broken Andy said...

I can't speak for JB's county, but in Fairfax County you can't take a camera in the courthouse. And since most phones have cameras these days, they take them from you. In fact, there is a whole claim ticket system at the entrance. WiFi is available in the courthouse, and the jury pools are told about. However, laptops or tablets with cameras are not allowed in the courthouse.

Ian Argent said...

I am entirely unsurprised that Fairfax County government acts like a tingod dictator.

I sort of understand the impetus behind such a decision, but it's illogical in this day and age.

JB Miller said...

Ian, Thanks. Typo fixed.

Andy, Yes. It's no cameras or audio recording devices. My phone has both. Even video cam.

JB Miller said...

Ian, Thanks. Typo fixed.

Andy, Yes. It's no cameras or audio recording devices. My phone has both. Even video cam.

JB Miller said...

This was magic! Poof! Laura got her Utah permit today!

http://falnfenix.blogspot.com/2011/06/im-free-im-free.html

Mike W. said...

I envy you. Wish getting (and renewing) one in DE were that easy.