Before we headed to the range we spent an hour talking about the Four Rules:
1) Treat every gun as if it is loaded.
2) Don't point a gun at anything you don't want destroyed.
3) Know your target and what's behind and around it.
4) Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire.
I also like to include the two disciplines:
1) Muzzle Discipline - Watch where you point that thing!
2) Trigger Discipline - Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.
We also talked about Range rules and basic functions of the guns before leaving the house. Big Fun!
--Best Quote, "I always thought guns were powerful. Now I know."